People always ask me what sites to visit when looking for their wedding site. This decision comes down to budget, personality of the couple, the number of guests invited, and what area the couple wants to get married in. Saying that...here are some of my picks for the top places to get married in the Baltimore area. This is based on my personal experience of visiting and in most cases coordinating weddings at these sites. Here goes...in no particular order!
- Grand Lodge - Ever wondered what that building is overlooking Hunt Valley Mall? This is it. Owned by the Masons (a secret sociey), this is a great spot for those who want a grand ballroom and who have large guest counts! Long hallways, tall ceilings, and a beautiful courtyard allow plenty of space for your guests to mix and mingle during the cocktail hour.
- Grey Rock Mansion - If you frequent the Reisterstown Road corridor, you pass the entrance to this mansion all the time. Located in Pikesville (near the Barnes and Nobles) and nestled in a private, gated community, this old mansion has loads of character and is great for both ceremonies and receptions given it's beautiful courtyard, tent, roomy interior, and food that your guests will talk about for years to come.
- Liriodendron Mansion - Located in Bel Air and the former summer home of the founder of Johns Hopkins Hospital, the Liriodendron is surrounded by gardens, beautiful lawns, and fountains and serves as a magnificent setting for those looking for a historic mansion for their nuptials.
- American Visionary Art Musem - Guests will not be without something to talk about at this unique museum located near the harbor and just off Key highway. This venue offers the option for ceremonies and receptions to be held outside in the sculpture garden, in the sculpture barn, or in the main museum which under went a spectacular renovation and now accommodates hundreds of people for seated receptions.
- The Center Club - This prestigious, members only club, located atop the Legg Mason building has dramatic views, cherry wood trim, and all of the elegance one would want for a ceremony and reception Baltimore style.
- The Engineers Club at the Garrett Jacobs Mansion - Get married and celebrate your nuptials at one of Baltimore's oldest clubs adorned with tall columns, marble staircases, beautiful hard wood floors, and all the other elegant features that one would expect in an old mansion. Located in Mount Vernon, your guests will love this location with an affordable hotel around the corner, the Walters Art Museum in its shadows, and the Inner Harbor just blocks away.
- Evergreen Musem and Library - Owned by Johns Hopkins University (yes, that means discounts for alums) and just off Charles Street near Roland Park, this beautiful estate with manicured lawns and italian gardens is an ideal location for outdoor ceremonies and tented receptions, and also offers a carriage house as another reception option.
- Lillies on the Harbor - This gem, located on the harbor, near the Ritz Carlton units and just off Key Highway, offers stunning venues of the Baltimore harbor and other landmarks such as the Domino Sugar mill for all of your guests. Have your ceremony outside overlooking the piers and then transition inside where guests can mingle on the balcony during cocktails and then enjoy a great meal inside the ballroom. Their website is down, but they are located at 500 Harborview Drive or you can call them at (410) 230-0705.
- Marriott Waterfront - Located downtown, this Marriott offers something for everyone. Whether you want a cocktail hour overlooking the harbor, a large ballroom with high ceilings for larger weddings or an intimate ballroom, this is a great hotel to have a wedding since it is located in the ever growing Harbor East area with a movie theater, fabulous restaurants, and cute shops.
- Peabody Library - A library with high ceilings, gold accents, and stacks and stacks of books is a unique and memorable venue for wedding receptions with a beautiful separate room for cocktails.
- Walters Art Gallery - You don't have to be a museum buff to appreciate the tall ceilings, marble columns, and sculptures of this Mt. Vernon landmark. Your guests will be thrilled to roam through the exhibits while they sip white wine (red wine is a no no) and eat hors d'oeuvres.
GREATER BALTIMORE AREA
- Belmont Conference Center - This name really does not do this property justice. The last thing you will be thinking of is a conference when you see the rolling acres and beautiful mansion that is Belmont located in Elkridge. Not only is there a tent and lawn for your wedding, but also a place for your guests and wedding party to stay for the weekend in the mansion and near by cottages.
- Elkridge Furnace Inn - Located conveniently between D.C. and Baltimore, Elkridge's other gem is this manor which not only boasts amazing cuisine, but also a beautiful and intimate setting for ceremonies and tented receptions.
- facility rentals
- tent rentals (main tent and in some cases a tent for the caterer)
- china/flatware/glassware rentals
- table and chair rentals
- and food charges (per person charge + tax + gratuity)