Wednesday, August 20, 2008

On Search for the Area's Best Cupcake







Yesterday, I sampled another of the area's cupcakes, Georgetown Cupcake. I tried Vanilla squared and Lemon Blossom. Located just off M Street, on Potomac, near the Georgetown Mall, the shop was small...one table, and a beautiful display of cupcakes on three tier silver stands. All of the icing was perfectly piped in a tube on each cupcake with a little garnish on top. The cupcakes were yummy, but small (about 2.5 x 3 inches). I accidentally left the Lemon Blossom in the car last night, which gave me a mild heart attack given the cost, but it was still in place and a little harder then yesterday, but still surprisingly good.
My daughter and I enjoyed it for breakfast this morning.
Being in the Baltimore area, I have bought many a cup cake from Baltimore Cupcake Company. They have delighted guests at parties and showers I have thrown and weddings I have planned. They are without a doubt very good. I have mastered how to keep them fresh as I have been disappointed the next day to find stale cup cakes. Get an air tight dish and place them in there and do not refrigerate them. In fact, all of the cup cake companies will alert you not to put them in the fridge. The shop is too cute, with paraphernalia, cupcake stands, candy, and other goodies and is located in Federal Hill, but off the beaten path down Fort Street. I have had everything from Key Lime, to Vanilla, to chocolate. They are all good.
A couple of weeks ago, I was delighted to have the chance to taste cupcakes from Cake Love. The staff person was really helpful in my decision for which flavor to go for. I selected chocolate and vanilla for my in-laws, my husband, and I. We ate them later that night, after following strict instructions to let them thaw after being refrigerated. To be honest, I was disappointed. They bordered on stale and were not moist. My mother-in-law did not enjoy hers either, and I asked my husband later how his was and he said he did not like it. I wanted to like it, but it was not the yummy treat I expected. The shop is located in Canton, off Boston Street near the Can Company. I like to think because they were in the fridge at their shop they were not as moist and will return for a redo.
My next venture is to taste Couture Cupcakes. The latest arrival on the cupcake scene. Stay tuned. Given the cost of these treats (from $2.75 to 3.25 plus tax...in DC a heaping 10% ouch), definitely do your own taste tests. The only positive of the small bites is they will have less of an impact on my waist line. Although, I have to admit that after one I am satisfied. I guess they have mastered how big they have to be to not disappoint.
Try some cupcakes today...whether for a shower, a hostess gift, a surprise for a friend, or a carefully planned order for a celebration, this is so much more than a trend and truly a nice way to end a meal or just enjoy on its own.

No comments: